Gota Seddho - by my Ma

Coming back to Kolkata has made me so busy (with hardly anything to do) that I took a long break from my blog and the kitchen. Today after a long time I made some lentil with vegetables - our cook, Minadi had already boiled the lentil, vegetables and kept (yeah! yeah! I am spoilt). All I did was tempered it with some onions, ginger garlic paste and some assorted spices.
This particular post is coming very late and also after a long hiatus.Keeping with tradition, this is something my Ma makes. Each year she will make Gota Seddho on Saraswati Pujo to be eaten on the next day - the day of 'Sheetal Shasthi' along with 'Kuler Chutney' and 'Mishti Doi'.  The concept is to eat food cooked the previous day and it should not be hot. I have always loved the 'Gota Seddho' my Ma used to make and even though it was not mandatory for me to have it, I would relish it - it was one of the best 'Gota Seddho' ever.
This year Ma made it too and send me a bowlful to enjoy and was gracious enough to share the recipe with me. Basically you have to use 6 'gota' (meaning whole) vegetables, 6 of each.

What was needed:

Kalo Kolai (Black Urad) or Green Moong er Daal - 100gm or 1/2 cup
Potato - 6 small
Sweet Potato - 6 small
Brinjal - 6 small
Sheem(Broad Beans) - 6
Peas in Pod - 6
Baby spinach - 6 small bunches
Roasted Black pepper crushed - 2-3 teaspoon
Aakher Gur - 5tbs
Salt to taste
Mustard Oil - 50ml - 4tbs

Now all you have to do it pressure cook all the vegetables with salt and once done you add the crushed black pepper, jaggery and mustard oil.


 

Comments

Saraswati puja or not... I am going to try this recipe really soon.
Cocoawind said…
Thank you... I hope you like it as much as I do :) But I also think it is an acquired taste...

Popular Posts