Kamalika's Sweet and Tangy Chicken with a Spicy Twist - Know your Blogger

Silence Sings With Kamalika C... what an amazing collection of recipes, reviews and beautiful thoughts. Kamalika of Silence Sings is a designer, a baker and has her own home-based company - Ika's. She was the mastermind behind Kolkata Food Bloggers(KFB) and it was her passion that brought  a bunch of food bloggers together who are now proud members of  KFB. As a part of 'Know Your Blogger' all the participating bloggers are recreating one of Kamalika's recipe this week - I chose her Sweet and Tangy Wings recipe. However I could not find chicken wings, hence had to tweak the recipe a bit. Her's was dry, I made my version with gravy. I mostly stuck to her recipe except for a few additions here and there and made a spicier version.


  • Chicken - I asked the butcher to give me the thighs and legs, chopped into 2-inch pieces (about 700gm)
  • Vinegar - 3tbs
  • Honey - 2tbs
  • Tomato Sauce - 3tbs
  • Green Chili Sauce -  3tbs (Original recipe used Red Chili Sauce, I had green at home)
  • Soy Sauce -  2tbs
  • Kashmiri Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp
  • Black peppercorns - 6-7
  • Salt as per taste (taste the gravy before adding salt, as soy sauce is already there as an ingredient)
  • Oil - 2tbs
  • Garlic - Chopped - 2 heaped tsp
  • Sweet Red Chili Sauce - 2 tbs
  • Coriander - chopped - 1/4th Cup (Not used in original recipe)
  • Green Chilies - thinly sliced - 2 to 3 (Not used in original recipe)

Marinate the chicken, preferably overnight with vinegar, honey, tomato sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, black peppercorns, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and salt to taste. I always make my marinade  first and then add the chicken pieces to it - this way I can taste the marinade and make alterations if required.
Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Transfer the marinated chicken with the liquid to an oven safe baking dish and bake for 15minutes. Turn the pieces using a tong and bake for another 10minutes.
To a pan/wok, add the oil and chopped garlic and then turn on the heat. This way the garlic will not burn. Add the chicken pieces and fry well on both side till they change into a beautiful darker color. Add the juice plus marinade, chopped chilies, chopped coriander, sweet red chili sauce and cook till the gravy thickens.
Serve warm with a side of rice, noodles or roti.

Comments

Unknown said…
Looks so yam...Thanks for trying my recipe and writing about me...:D
Cocoawind said…
It was a pleasure! And thank you!
thelady8home said…
Another Bong saying hi!! The chicken looks delightful! Would you mind bringing it over to my dinner party? I d a linky party every week, and am always for a lookout for great party recipes :) This looks beautiful!

http://www.thelady8home.com/2013/09/13/weekend-gala-dinner-extravaganza-15/
Cocoawind said…
Thanks guys!!! :)
Dipika said…
I had bookmarked this recipe long back. Today I finally Got to try this out.. now I don't have an oven, so I used baked a big aluminium vessel as a substitute. Covered it tightly with a lid to make an oven like environment. followed your recipe to the dot and the result was so yummylicious! Thank you so much for sharig this!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=763073250396690&set=ms.c.eJwtycEJADAIA8CNSjQ1wf0XE8TncRZhZoEtNZ7XFE0g8lyxr39WrosDmGYMxA~-~-.bps.a.698667953503887.1073741833.100000820672749&type=1&theater
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Dipika... I am so glad you liked it! :) :)

Popular Posts