Whole wheat Date-Banana Bread - Eggless and No extra sugar added

What happens when you make mistakes in the kitchen when you are baking? A disaster? Well not always (thankfully)! The recipe that I was following to make this date-sweetened Banana Bread used eggs (2) in it and it asked for 1/2 cup for hot water to make the date puree with. It was only after I had pureed the dates (I did not have any more left) that I realized that I had added one Cup of hot water instead of half. I will not lie. I panicked, I flustered, I tried to think of ways to use up the puree, then calmed down and decided to skip the eggs. I figured since bananas are often used as egg substitutes it might just worked. And it did! The result was super moist, no extra sugar added eggless Banana Bread with some blueberries thrown in. (Yes, I am using blueberries whenever and wherever I can). 

Whole wheat Date-Banana Bread - Eggless and No extra sugar added

  • Dates - 1 Cup, pitted (about 15-16, I used Mejdool Dates)
  • Hot Water - 1 Cup
  • Butter - 1/4 Cup or half a stick, softened + a little for greasing the pan
  • Bananas - 3 big, overripe (the speckled/spotted kind)
  • Blueberries - 1/2 Cup (you can skip blueberries or use cranberries if you want or use chopped nuts)
  • Whole wheat flour - 2 Cups + 1 tbsp
  • Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Baking Soda - 1 tsp
  • Salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Vanilla Extract - 1 tbsp, good quality
  • 1 9 x 5 loaf pan
Whole wheat Date-Banana Bread - Eggless and No extra sugar added

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease and flour the pan and set aside.
Soak the dates in the one cup hot water for at least 10 minutes and puree it using your blender. 
In another bowl, whisk together the 2 Cups whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. 
In a separate bowl, mash the 3 bananas and keep aside. 
Coat the blueberries in the 1 tbsp of flour and set aside. 
In a large bowl, whisk together (on low speed if you are using a electric mixer, I used a fork) the date-puree and butter till nicely mixed. 
Now slowly add the flour mix to the date mixture and mix gently till just incorporated.
Fold in the mashed bananas and flour-coated blueberries gently.
DO NOT over-mix.
Pour into the greased and floured pan and bake at 350 F for about 50 to 55 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf.
Once out of the oven, let it rest for about 10 minutes or so and then transfer it to a wire rack for it to cool down completely.
Cut into slices or thick chunks and enjoy as it is, or lightly toast it or slather it with some butter or your favorite jam/preserves.
Store in an air-tight container - it should stay fresh for 3 to 4 days. I had refrigerated it and it stayed fresh for 5 days.




Comments

Devpriya Sen said…
Looks yummy...I am going to try out this awesome recipe..
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Devipriya! :) Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Popular Posts