Spicy Cranberry Chutney

I love going to Wholefoods alone. That way I can leisurely stroll through the aisles without any 'hurry up' reminders from the husband. Couple of weeks back, I was there on a Thursday morning (or may be a Friday) - they had just stocked up and I found myself staring at the vibrant beauty of the fresh produce. I must have stared for very long, as the store-guy who was sprucing up the fresh produce sensed my presence behind him and asked if I needed any help - I gushed about beautiful everything looked. The store-guy beamed. Yup they take immense pride in what they do - it shows!
Yesterday, on a last-minute shopping trip to Wholefoods I saw fresh cranberries swimming in a crate of water. I stared at it in admiration for a couple of minutes. My awed reverie was cut short by a polite 'excuse me' - I had been shamelessly hogging the aisle. I mumbled my apologies and set off to pick up the rest of the stuff on my list. Within 2 minutes I found myself back in front of the cranberries. Without thinking twice, I scooped up and bagged some. Then once again I embarked on my journey in search of rest of the items on my list in the nooks and crannies of the store that never fails to amaze me!
So here I am putting the cranberries to good use. Making some spicy Cranberry Chutney for the Thanksgiving potluck tonight. It is just us and another family in the neighborhood, so this much would be plenty. They will be making the bird (chicken) and appetizers and I am in charge of the sides and dessert. 
Yup, I have been cooking up a storm in the kitchen, while the husband cleaned the house (yay) - and I am so thankful for the little things!

Spicy Cranberry Chutney

Ingredients: 

  • Fresh Cranberries - 2 Cups
  • Zest and Juice of one orange
  • Grated Ginger - 1 tsp
  • Jalapeno - 1 tbsp, finely chopped (use more or less)
  • Brown Sugar - 1 Cup
  • Water - 1/4 Cup

Add all the above ingredients to a saucepan and cook on a medium low heat for about 20 minutes, till the cranberries break down and the sauce thickens. Cool and store in a airtight jar. 

I like topping my crackers with little cheese and a little of this spicy and tart chutney.

Comments

Popular Posts