Gajar Ka Halwa with Condensed Milk

I had a 1-pound bag of baby carrots lying in the fridge for over a week. Each time I would pull out the vegetable tray, stare at the bag and immediately my brain would shut down! I had no clue what I wanted to use them in. Usually I make chicken soup with carrots and celery, but not this time. Then someone shared a picture of carrot soup on a group on Facebook which prompted me to look up carrot soup recipes. No sooner had I clicked on a link that a tiny voice inside my head screamed, Gajar Ka Halwa. A lot encouragement from Cocoawind's Facebook Page gently nudged me to the correct direction that would use up the carrots and satisfy the soul!  
Happy soul, I danced off to the kitchen, took out the food processor and let it work it magic to shred the carrots to little itty bitty pieces. Pirouetted over to the fridge to take out the milk, only to realize that I did not have enough. So settled for condensed milk instead. I have to confess that I like the other version (made with milk and sugar) more, but this wasn't half as bad. And definitely involves less stirring than the real deal. 
I used about 3/4th of the 14 oz condensed milk can to make this which was made more to suit our taste buds, feel free to use more condensed milk. And a little more ghee wouldn't hurt either. 

Gajar Ka Halwa with Condensed Milk

Ingredients:
  • Carrots - 1 lb, shredded
  • Ghee - 1 tbsp (please use a tbsp more for a richer taste)
  • Green Cardamoms - 4 or 5, slightly crushed
  • Condensed Milk - 14 oz Can (I used 3/4th of the can to reach the desired sweetness)
  • Raisins - a handful
  • Cashews or Almonds - a handful (I used slivered almonds since I am allergic to cashews)
In a heavy bottomed pan heat the ghee on medium low, and fry the green cardamoms in it till fragrant. Add the shredded carrot and cook till tender. Keep stirring and scraping once every couple of minutes. Stir in the condensed milk and mix well. I prefer adding the condensed milk 2 tbsp at a time, so that it does not become over-sweet. Dress it up with the cashews/almonds and raisins. Alternately, you can fry the cashews and raisins in some ghee and add it. Cook  on low heat till the liquid evaporates, stirring often. 

We like it slightly warm, but you can eat it chilled too! Tastes amazing either way!

Comments

wanna try now...awesome
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Jayanthy! :)

Popular Posts