Urmi's Microwave Coconut Barfi

I am particularly late with this post! A sudden unplanned trip to New York City last Sunday totally messed up our routines! We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 day trip (even though it was not a vacation), walking the streets of my second-most favorite city in the world (after Kolkata, of course), eating street food, re-living our memories and making new ones with our son!
Urmi Ghosh of Ume's Kitchen is the star of this week! I am yet to meet her, but she sure comes across as a sweet soul with a very sweet smile! Mom to a very cute 4 year old, she has recently launched her home bakery and is baking some pretty amazing cakes! Do check out her page
Sunday we celebrated Saraswati Pujo here and I had signed up to make chutney. While I was making tomato chutney on Saturday night, the 5 year old pranced into the kitchen, sniffing and singing , "I smell mishti! I smell mishti!" It was his bedtime, so I send him off with the promise of making him some soon! 
Urmi's Microwave Coconut Barfis is the perfect fix for the sudden "I want mishti" pangs! However, it took me three tries before I got it right. If you are planning to make it, do babysit it the first time. Depending on the microwave power, the time of cooking will most definitely vary. What worked for me might not for you. Also, since I was using desiccated coconut instead of fresh, I had to add more liquid than suggested in the recipe. I also adjusted the amount of sugar and cardamom powder according to our taste, and  omitted saffron and yellow food color that Urmi has used. 

Urmi's Microwave Coconut Barfi


Ingredients: Yield - 4
  • Coconut - 1/2 Cup
  • Ghee - 1 tsp
  • Cardamom Powder - 3/4 tsp
  • Sugar 2 tbsp 
  • Sugar - 2 tbsp
  • Milk - 1/3 Cup
  • Slivered almonds for garnish
Grease a container or a deep dish and set aside.
In a microwavable bowl, mix the coconut and ghee together and nuke it for a total of 2 to 3 minutes. You absolutely need to stir it at the 1 minute mark and then every 45 seconds. Add the milk, sugar and cardamom powder to and mix well. I had to cook it for a total of 4 minutes - cooked for 2 minutes first, and then in increments of 1 minute, stirring and scraping the sides of the bowl each time. Overcooking will cause it to harden. Spread it out on the greased container and press it down gently using the back of a spoon. Let it set for at least an hour, cut into diamond shapes and serve. Store leftovers in airtight container. 


Comments

Rafeeda AR said…
This sounds really interesting... nice and quick... thanks for sharing...
I came across your blog while looking for some coconut recipes and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye out for all your recipes :)

Popular Posts