Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney

I do not know what came over the husband that made him buy a mango for me while grocery-shopping at Wholefoods. He usually sticks to the list I message him and will pick up an occasional bar of chocolate or a pineapple when we are out! Since he is the only one who eats (he cuts it like a pro, I will take photos and share soon) a pineapple I will almost always forget to include it in the list!
Anyways, long story short, I was stuck with one ripe, organic mango. And yes, you can call me a mango snob! Alphonso or the Mexican variety like this one is not my thing. I will only eat a mango as a fruit if it bloomed on a tree that has grown from a wee sapling to its majestic splendor on the soils of West Bengal. I have never met a mango outside West Bengal that I have liked. If I do, I will happily renounce my mango snobbery, I promise! For now, I will enjoy the mango chutney that I made.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 large ripe mango
  • 1 tsp mustard oil (you can use canola or vegetable oil)
  • 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
  • 1 dried red chili 
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • A fat pinch of asafoetida
  • A pinch of salt
  • Brown sugar or regular sugar adjusted to your preference, I used one heaped tablespoon of brown sugar
Cut the mango around the stone and cube the flesh.Scrape off all the flesh from the peels as well. Back home, we always soak the mangoes for sometime in tap water before cutting.
Heat the mustard oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat and temper it with the mustard seeds, pinch of asafoetida and the dried red chili. You can use canola or vegetable oil, but I just love the jazzy pungency of mustard oil. Once seeds start crackling, add the mango pulp to it along with sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook for few minutes till the mango pieces break down and turns slightly darker. Add the grated ginger and cook for a minute or two. Take it off heat and let it cool it down completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Keep it refrigerated. I love eating a huge spoonful of it with lunch or dinner or just like that! It takes care of my untimely sugar cravings!

I will be making some raw mango chutney soon!

Sending this to Kolkata Food Bloggers event





Comments

Popular Posts